3.31.2010

The food we eat.

Food. I LOVE FOOD. But there are changes I am starting to make to the food that I eat. One of the them is the elimination of High Fructose Corn Syrup. Now this isn't easy because there is food out there like - oreo's - that I LOVE. But Trader Joe's has some great alternative with no hfcs. The Reverend and I started noticing that so much of what is at the grocery store has HFCS in it - especially condiments, cereal, and really most packaged food. For those of you interested in what it actually does to your diet, here is a great article! (Notice the part about most of our corn products are genetically modified - DONT GET ME STARTED HERE!! I feel like this issue is very scary. If you don't know anything about this, I encourage you to do some research because it will impact us and the next generations for sure!)


I really started reading up on this whole "organic" thing about 8 months ago when I choose to come off the hormone shots I was receiving for Endometriosis. I had been on some form of hormones for three years and it definitely took a toll on my body. Fed up with the emotional roller-coaster and tired of a body i didn't recognize - I decided to stop.

I met with a Naturalist who lead me to this book. I recommend it for every lady out there. It is SO helpful if you would like alternatives to western medicine.

Also, I love this book!! and I am a huge *closet* Jillian fan. My sister had this book and it became a must read for me. She is very detailed on what to keep in your diet and what to eliminate.


And if any of you are more interested here are some books I have enjoyed on nutrition: Food, Inc, Super Foods RX, In Defense of Food, and Optimal Health Revolution.

For those of you in the Redlands area and want information on Farmers Markets or organics - here are some links I recommend. Redlands Organics, Organic Produce Buying Club/ Co-Op, The Farm, and Local Harvest (go "home" and you can find things in your area if you are not in Redlands).

4 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm debating renting Food Inc. I think secretly I don't want to because I know it will make me want to make changes in our food shopping...and those changes can only be more expensive...

Ruthie said...

Kel, I know what you mean! It can be expensive, but typically farmers markets or even doing a coop for veggies can be the same price or cheaper. I started looking into this idea of real food because I had friends who were going completely organic and I was curious.

If anything just shop by the old rule of thumb and follow the outer rim of the grocery store (that is how my mom always shopped and I never knew why!) - that is where the healthiest food is.

Jana said...

Within the last year I've worked on eliminating HFCS, artificial colors and artificial sweeteners from my family's diet (especially the kids). Not easy with only Wal Mart nearby. But yes, Trader Joe's helps a lot!
Thanks for the book recommendations. I've requested them both from the library already.
Kelly - what is Food Inc.?

Rachel said...

I wish we had trader joes here in texas! another great book is "Omnivores Dilemna". He wrote "Food Rules" too I believe - he was on Oprah a few months ago. The first book goes into the corn issue very in depth. Its overwhelming but we all need to keep taking one step at a time, baby steps, until we can all make big steps together.